Sunday, November 28, 2010

Status Report: The Kitchen Remodel and the Christmas Cactus

And were we successful in our race to complete our kitchen remodeling in time for Thanksgiving?

Well. . . . yes and no.

This is the stairwell and living room just outside of our kitchen, Tuesday morning, before Thanksgiving. And many of these boxes happen to contain all those little things you need for cooking, like bottles of oil, spices, pots and pans. . . .



But this is the condition of the kitchen Tuesday morning. The contractor was very apologetic about not having completed the kitchen by Thanksgiving. He finally heard our desperation to have a functional kitchen in which to bake and cook our feast, and he did manage to put the microwave back in, just above the stove, before leaving for the day. Luckily, on Wednesday, the electrician came and finished the wiring in order for us to actually power the microwave to use for Thanksgiving preparations.



It's not finished yet, but it is now such a treat to get to pull open drawers for spoons, and open cabinets for bowls, rather than rummaging around in boxes in the living room! I'm hoping to soon quit looking for the microwave on the floor of the dining room, and remember that it's at eye level in the kitchen now!

And to celebrate the progress, and Dianna being home, my Christmas Cactus decided to bloom for the first time ever!





I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

Maria said...

Oh, my! The kitchen is beautiful! And that cactus . . . I think it's an omen of a beautiful holiday season to come! Doesn't it feel great to get rid of all that remodeling clutter? I'm in love with your cabinets. You are going to have so much fun organizing them!

Nicki said...

I am drooling over those cabinets - drooling!!! It will be so worth it once it is finished - just ask Maria. Speaking of which, I trust we will get a YouTube video. (wink wink!) Your Christmas cactus is very pretty and apparently excited to see both Diana and the kitchen almost finished. My mom had Christmas Cactus and they would bloom all year round - very confused things.

Jill said...

Talk about the nick of time!!! Looks very pretty! And so neat on the cactus!

Reds said...

Glad you managed to celebrate Thanksgiving without boxes! You kitchen looks great!

Barb said...

I really like the white cabinets and especially the top ones with the glass in the doors. Your kitchen is looking great! I am so excited for you.

Ron said...

Angela you must have the patience of a saint. I would have fired that contractor a long time ago. But at least you have most of your kitchen back. What is the secret of the Christmas cactus? I’ve had one for three years and no flowers!! Tell me please.