Friday, February 24, 2012

45 Hours in New York: 911 Memorial

With 45 hours in New York City, Brian had us "on the clock." Once he realized how much later it was going to be before I got into New York, he got on the computer and rearranged our reservation at the 911 Memorial. I was so moved by this Memorial! The mood is very somber at the site, and the security presence is quite strong. But there seems to be a very cooperative attitude, more of an appreciation, toward this security compared to what I feel in airports. In airports, it can often seem like an adversarial relationship with security, or at least if often seems like a gum-chewing, indifferent, cranky person just wants to yell irritably at someone, treating them like they are a nuisance. The atmosphere at the Memorial was decidedly different.

Hour 14:47: Brian had us take the subway to the site:

Hour 14:50: Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to walk on the Brooklyn Bridge; our time was short.

The site Dedication:

Hour 15:15: I was very impressed with how the site chose to commemorate the actual location of the two destroyed towers. Two large pools/fountains outline the shape of the North and South towers.

You can see, reflected in the water, the image of the new towers being built:

Names of the people who died in the towers are engraved in the walls surrounding the fountains:

Self-reflection in the walls of the building which will eventually house the museum of the 911 Memorial:

Our time was short, but this was a very moving experience. You do "go" to the Memorial; you "feel" the 911 Memorial.

4 comments:

Reds said...

Didn't get a chance to visit the memorial but will go next time we go to NY. Thanks for sharing!

Nicki said...

This was still under construction when I visited and you are absolutely right - even then, it wasn't merely a location - but an emotion.

I love all the reflective elements created to memorialize 911.

Maria said...

Wow! I'm getting a lump in my throat recalling the horror and sadness of 911. I was very moved when I saw the Viet Nam Memorial in Washington, D.C., so I'm sure this memorial would be even more compelling.

More and more, I'm thinking we need to schedule a trip to New York!

Suzy said...

Beautiful captures. I've wanted to see the memorial and it's so nice to see it through your shots here.