Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Morning Glory Muffins

It's my wonderful friend, Sheila's, birthday!

I took a cue from Celine and made Sheila these Morning Glory Muffins.

Morning Glory Muffins
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup cranberries
2/3 cup(s) hot water, boiling
1 3/4 cup(s) white all-purpose flour

1 1/4 cup(s) rolled oats, old-fashioned
1/4 cup(s) sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp table salt

2 large egg(s)
1 cup(s) buttermilk, low-fat
3/4 cup(s) packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup pecans, chopped coarsely

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray an 18-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray, or use muffin liners.. In a small bowl, combine the raisins, cranberries and boiling water.

  • In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, oats, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a large bowl whisk the eggs until frothy; whisk in the buttermilk, brown sugar, and butter. Stir in the raisins, cranberries and the water. Add the flour mixture and stir to just blend (do not overmix).

  • Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters full. Sprinkle pecans on top.

  • Bake until a tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20–22 minutes.
If using mini muffin tins, bake 12 minutes.

Remove from the pan and cool on wire racks.

Try not to eat all of these yourself all at once. Some say it's nice to share, but I wouldn't know.

12 comments:

Esther said...

Oh those look heavenly! That Celine sure has the know how in the baking department! I love her blog for that very reason! I love the muffin shot. Very nice DOF and focus. Happy Birthday to your beautiful friend Sheila!

Suzy said...

lol, they do sound yummy and happy birthday to your friend. I love that last shot!

pat said...

OH boy! Those sound delicious!! Anything with cranberries gets my attention.

Yolanda said...

yummmm. Great shots.

Reds said...

I am mentioned - yoohoo!! :) - Glad I can inspire in some way!!! Those muffins look too good - will have to bake them soon!! And happy birthday to your friend Sheila!!

Jess said...

Oh YUM! Those sound amazing! I am drooling just thinking about them!

Nicki said...

That Celine is such a tasty enabler. These look yummy.

Went to see Alice In Wonderland - LOVED IT! but no bunny to greet us -- oh well ;)

Tracie said...

Ooooh! Those look delicious!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Oh man those look so yummy.

Anonymous said...

Sharing - what's sharing? I certainly wouldn't share those yummy little piles of deliciousness!

Maria said...

You had me at "muffins." Then, when you add "cranberries" and "raisins" you made me ecstatic! I have to try these! They are so pretty and with a name like "Morning Glory" how can you go wrong? Can I be Sheila today?

annabelle said...

what a yummy looking birthday treat :)