Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Red River of the North: Is this Springtime?

As I mentioned yesterday, we headed down to the river on Saturday, walked around on it, and waited. . .

Can you see them? Also, notice the bridge in the background. In a few more weeks, once the snow melts, it's quite likely that the water will cover this bridge. It would be best if we got OFF the river before then!

Here they come! The first dog sled team and their musher!

These bad boys were part of a 164 mile race, from Halstad, MN, to East Grand Forks, and back to Halstad, on Saturday.

10 dog sled teams were entered, and first prize of the Red River Sled Dog Derby is $1500.

And you thought we didn't know how to party around here! Friends tell me that northeast of here is a bar called the Igloo Bar. It's on a lake or river in the Lake of the Woods area. Lots of people do ice fishing in that area, putting a little ice house directly on the ice, heating it, cutting a hole in the ice, and. . . . well. . . fishing! Apparently, sometimes they like to also hit a local bar, also on the ice.

I'd like to see how they get electricity out to it.

In another couple of weeks, all the houses, bars, and vehicles have to be off the ice, by law. Good law, huh?

13 comments:

Esther said...

That is SO cool! I didn't know anyone else besides Alaska was into dog mushing. :) Our biggest race, the Iditarod starts on Saturday and ends in our town, Nome. It gets so exciting this month with all the people visiting. I'm sure I'll have some mushing pics up too in a couple week. TFS!!

pat said...

Never would've guessed sled dogs in a million years! How fun that they race on the river--it's a ready-made course. Growing up, my grandpa had a fish shanty, so we used to ice fish every winter. It was NOT like the deluxe heated, electrified, insulated mini-homes that pass for shanties these days. Wimps. How can you tell you're ice fishing if you're not cold?

Nicki said...

Sled dogs - how fun. They actually do ice fishing close to where I grew up - up in Oakland, Maryland on Deep Creek Lake. Crazy!

shirley said...

Wow, way too cool. Literally. I don't know how you deal with the long, cold winter.

Margaret said...

Wow. I never would have guessed a dogsled race, either. What a fun thing to be able to see something like that. Looks so cold, though! But I guess if it wasn't cold, it would be a dog swimming race.

Cathi Green said...

What a cool post! Here's hoping your spring starts soon!

--sme said...

1) That is so cool. I want to come visit you one year and witness this myself! (Love how you build anticipation through the series of shots....I thought I'd missed reading something after the first photo....glad I kept reading!)

2) Stuff has to be off the ice, by law. That's just comical to me....we're excited to have enough ice to stand on about a foot from shore without cracking it!

Suzy said...

I want to see the igloo bar now?! Very cool! I would have never of guessed you were waiting to see a dog sled team!

Yolanda said...

Very cool! I saw a dogsled race once up near Telluride and it was really kind of fun to watch (although cold).

Jeanne said...

How cool is this?! What an awesome sight for you to witness. Never would have thought of that in a million years.

And I just had to comment about them having a law that you have to be off the ice by a certain time. Natural consequences aren't enough of a deterrent to get them off of it? How did people manage to survive without that law? (sorry, can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not). It just seems silly to me to actually have a law about that!

Maria said...

I thought you were going to show us a Zamboni smoothing out the ice in the Red River! But this is pretty cool, too. Although . . . $1,500 top prize doesn't seem like much when you have to feed that many puppies . . . I guess it's the love of the sport. I don't know what is it about a team of sled dogs that makes me long to do it, too . . . Then, I remember I don't like snow and come back to my senses.

Reds said...

Would love to see that in person - how fun!! We've got ice fishing here too - would love to try it one day!

Nicki said...

repeat visit - hey, just saw on the news (well, actually as I was getting two teens out of the house and to school - so better stated "glimpsed at the news") a location where they are holding human drawn / husky riding sleds. It was so funny to watch humans being strapped up to pull the sled and the husky riding in the back. (am thinking the dog would have preferred to have pulled rather than ride cause those humans didn't look too stable).