Thursday, February 12, 2009

London: Tuesday & View from the Top of a Double Decker

Journal for Tuesday, Feb 3, London

I hope all of you understand that I actually am very appreciative of getting to do something like go to London, and that I really did enjoy much of the trip, (even though I have now discovered a new fondness of mocking the British reaction to snow.)

On this second day of our trip, we found that the city was still acting like Drama Queens about their "adverse weather conditions." We were able to have a full English breakfast at our hotel this morning, and we got to order eggs the way we wanted, and have sausage or bacon, toast, jams, mushrooms(!), muesli, coffee and tea.

But when we set out to try and catch the Big Bus, we waited and waited and it never came. This is one of those hop-on, hop-off kind of buses that brings you from attraction to attraction, and provides an audio-tour of what you are seeing. We saw other, classic English red double-decker buses running, but not the Big Bus. Finally, we crossed the street and talked to the operator of The Original London Tour Bus. they told us that the Big Bus company had chosen not to run on this day, because of the weather. We purchased tickets with the Original Tour.





First, we traveled to the South Kensington and Knightsbridge area, along the Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park. This is the Albert memorial, built to commemorate Queen Victoria's consort.
We walked through the Royal Albert Hall, and then headed to the Science Museum. Because I'm obsessed with my Dyson vacuum cleaner, I was mesmerized by this Dyson hand drier in the women's bathroom. This very nice young woman agreed to model the drier so I could photograph it, since I couldn't dry my hands and shoot it at the same time by myself. I still can't believe I asked her to do this, and she giggled hysterically, while fleeing from me, the crazy American, shortly afterwards. But I got my shot!


Again, note the horror nature wreaked on the city with the mountains of snow.







Once we caught the bus again,I discovered that other than Brian, pictured here all the way in the front of this bus, I could have the open top of the double-decker bus all to myself! It was cold, but not THAT cold, mainly only a bit windy, and a great view! Later, I thought it might have been prudent of me to listen to the warning about not standing up on the top of a double-decker bus, because there really could be low-hanging branches. But I was fortunate, although foolish, and was spared any "adverse events" from this, as I raced about the top to my heart's content, photographing everything in sight.






Again, see all the snow hindering our travels? I think the British are basically confused about snow. Monday, when there actually was more snow, I didn't see any children playing in it, just adults. Where I come from, first sign of snow, you bundle up the little ones till they look like brightly colored Pillsbury Dough Boys and throw them out in the snow. British parents must have thought snow was toxic. (Could it be that the British reaction to snow played a role in what happened to the British during the American Revolution?)

But then there was the question in the London paper about whether snow is safe to eat. An "authority" weighed in, seriously speculating that as the snow falls through the air, it could pick up viruses and bacteria. But this was followed by a recipe involving snow and sugar. (?)

OK, raise your hand if you want to be the one to inform the Brits about yellow snow.

Tomorrow: more photos from the top of the double-decker part, and the body part I sacrificed to my trip to London

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that is so funny. Being from Chicago....the snow is so not a big deal! I love how they close everything down. Too bad it was while you were there. GREAT shots.
Cari

Margaret said...

I am loving your London journal! Today is particularly hilarious. Here in Utah, we get a ton of snow and rarely does anything close down because of it. Those Brits would be incredibly frightened if they came here!

Shauna said...

Love the captures, that snow on the building is so beautiful. TFS.

janett said...

I don't know how I'm still alive considering the massive amounts of snow I've eaten in my time. Haha. That "snow" wouldn't even register as a blip in the radar here.

Sharon said...

Wonderful captures!

Michelle said...

Me!Me! I want to tell them about yellow snow! ROFL! I love both your photos and your commentary! Keep the fun coming!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing you trip to London with us. Great stories and photos.

shirley said...

I continue to enjoy your stories and pictures of Londoners. My favorite picture from today's set is the ornate gate - how beautiful!
The bits about articles in the paper and eating snow - totally funny!
Did you get to Fortnum and Mason? My Favorite store in London!

Jodie said...

Great shots! You look like you are having a great time.

Anonymous said...

Awesome captures! I enjoy reading about your London adventure!

Mary Ann said...

Thanks for the laugh! I'm from northeastern Ohio and caught myself looking for problem snow (the snowplow pile at the bottom of the drive, the ice slick at every color...). London's looking pretty good!

Jeanne said...

You must have gotten some interesting emails if you had to make that clarification at the beginning of your post. I'm sure your faithful readers who know and love you totally get that you are appreciative. But this reaction to snow...doesn't it ever snow there? I dunno...seems particularly over the top in how it stopped everything. And your commentary is hilarious! Who'd have thunk looking at someone ELSE'S vacation photos could be SO fun??? Keep em coming!

Anonymous said...

The buildings are just so incredible. There is so much pure detail in every single one. I love the filigree fence...breathtaking.

Becky said...

You are totally cracking me up! I am so enjoying your trip to England. (I never use ATMs either.)

Reds said...

LOL again!! You are too funny!! I feel like I am on the trip with you!!! And beautiful captures of the city!

Jess said...

ROFL! I am still cracking up at how dramatic they were about that little bit of snow! Hilarious! I'm glad you got to ride on top of the double-decker, that is definitely one thing that is a "must do" in London I think! That Dyson hand drier is AMAZING- I want one in MY bathroom!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

OMG the sights look incredible. How awesome to see all of that even if it had to be in all that snow. Your kids looked like they enjoyed it and how wonderful you got to spend time with them. I will be back on Monday to catch up on your blog. I am on my way to MO this weekend.
BTW the NSBR didn't bother me a bit but thanks for the incouragement.

pat said...

Angela, what a great start to my day!! LOL!!! Your journaling is hysterical. Can't believe the report on weighing the merits of eating snow---honestly!!!

Kristen Wagner Penn said...

Beautiful!!! I remember the first time I used one of those hand driers!! They work so well. Thanks for showing us parts of London.

Ann said...

Too funny. I saw all the photos on line and laughed. We have just had another 2 feet of snow and besides school being closed 1 day (we were getting 2 inches an hour) Everything just continued to function. Great photos. Love the hands in the bathroom shot. ~Ann

Amy said...

I'm loving all of your London photos and journaling, I feel like I'm there enjoying the sights right along with you! :)

p.s. My blog header is new. My dd (Allyson) updated it for me with a photo I took last summer. Thanks for noticing, she'll be thrilled! :)

Jo said...

Okay, you had me and my DH in absolute stitches with this post! He also says he likes how you've pp'ed your shots! But seriously, have you seen my snow pics? We did have a ton dumped on us OUTSIDE of London! But you nailed it, the Health and Safety regulations of the UK often have us going "Huh?"

Suzy said...

Fun captures! That hand dryer is crazy.. How cool that you got someone to model it for you!