Sunday, February 15, 2009

More of London

More of Journal for Tuesday, Feb 3, London, 2nd day of the Big Snow


To be fair, I really, really loved being in London (even though its citizens were all in the grip of Severe Snow Neurosis while I was there. Fortunately, it's not contagious.) What is dangerous, though, are the clutzy things a person can do in a hotel room. Which is why I'm sacrificing a body part to my trip to London. Our room had about a 5" curb-type thing at the entry to the bathroom. I don't know why; but it was quite effective in destroying my toe as I made my way to the bathroom in the dark in the middle of the night. I'm expecting my toenail to fall off any day now. But I've got 9 others, so it's no big deal. Having watched Monty Python movies which provides 90% of my knowledge of England, I expected some body part to fall off anyway on this trip.

These are some of my favorite photos from the top of the double decker bus. Don't they make you want to go to London?









Here's another bit of travel advice I can offer: try not to spill the wine you buy at the grocery store on the carpet. Someone, (whose name I won't mention but whose initial are "Brian", knocked over his glass. We used up all that minimal ration of toilet paper given in a European hotel in blotting this up. But, that's where it comes in handy having another bathroom down the hall; you can abscond with another roll of toilet paper during dire wine emergencies!



The London Eye, along the Thames River.

OK, this tip is real. If you travel to London, their electrical current is 240; ours is 110. Transformers, which are suppose to reduce the electrical current from 240 to 110, don't tend to work. For things like hair dryers, you're better off trying to use one provided by the hotel. For other appliances, in addition to a transformer, you would need an adapter. An adapter makes it so you can actually plug in our US plug thingy, into the other configuration of holes-in-the-wall that another country might have. Now, here's the good part. Lots of our appliances (like ipod chargers and shavers for the boy-types!) are dual voltage. Go ahead and look at one. If you look closely at the writing on it (which I hardly ever, ever look at), you'll see something like 110/240. This means you can plug it into an adapter and right into the UK wall! This didn't work, however, for my Nikon battery charger, and believe me, I was guarding that precious battery power very carefully! Maybe next time I travel hither and yon, I'll make sure I have a spare battery.

The London Tower Bridge, photo shot from the top of the double decker bus as we drove under this. It was completed in 1894, during Victorian times. The London bridge was actually begun in 1209, out of stone! As in Medieval times! How cool is that? It lasted about 600 years. The current version of the London bridge was built in 1972.



This is a shot of the London Eye framing Big Ben.

I don't have pictures for it, but this evening, we went to a comedy club, and it was thoroughly enjoyable! I want you to know that I am now educated on the finer points of tickling chickens, and saw a documentary on the horrific effects of Bells Gone Berserk.

If I ever go back to London, I'd love to go to the Tower of London, Shakespeare's Globe, the Photographers Museum, and do more of the London Walks. I'd go in warmer weather, although if my weather curse caused snow again, the Brits would probably cry. And ban me from their city.

21 comments:

Maria said...

These photos are absolutely gorgeous, Angela! You'll need to go back in warmer weather to balance out your impression of London and its inhabitants, because, really, who's at their best in winter weather?

Jason said...

Those buildings are sooo cool. You never see anything like that around here!

Sharon said...

Very nice captures! Makes me want to go back.

Malisa said...

Very pretty pictures! Enjoy your trip!

Nicki said...

Absolutely gorgeous cityscape shots. The architecture is stunning!

Amy B. said...

So amazing. Love them all but the last with Big ben is my fav! TFS.

Shauna said...

Great captures! I love the last one with that sun flare!

cristina said...

sooo cool!
i just had to laugh at your smarty-panty remarks... so freaking witty...
tfs your 'tips' about london...and tfs your beautiful captures with us...
wondering though? would you want to visit again if given the opportunity?

Mom2Drew said...

I've been once and I gotta say...I soooo want to go back now after seeing all your pics. GREAT job.

Becky said...

These are all so beautiful! Love that sunflare in the last one.

--sme said...

I think the London Tower Bridge from the bus is my absolute favorite shot!!! (All of these are great, but that one blew me away!!!)

Becky Anderson said...

Do you know that you are making me jealous? I would LOVE to go to Europe. My hubby lived there for a couple years and loved it. One day when the kids are grown we will hopefully make it there.

Great pictures!!

Suzy said...

Sorry about the toe nail - ouch! But your captures here are fantastic! I love that last one with some sun flare!

Carol said...

Great photos but I felt your pain with the toe - it is amazing how much something can hurt that is so little. (I bent a finger nail back once, passed out, went into shock and then vomited, maybe my body did overreact a little but it hurt).
Voltage supply can be a big problem for us. We use 220 and have learnt to keep hairdryers etc at home when in USA or Canada as they just don't get the power supply to "go".

Anonymous said...

These are STUNNING. My fav is the last one for sure. It could be on a post card or in a book. You are spoiling us with all of your amazing pictures of your adventure. I feel so lucky that you took so many, as I have never traveled oversees. I think you have convinced me to visit though.

Jeanne said...

Oh your poor toe! I wonder why they built the room with such a tall lip? Interesting...

Your photos and commentary are fantastic. I'll probably never get "across the pond" so I really appreciate seeing these photos (and your witty commentary)!

Where are "we" going next?

Reds said...

wow Angela - these are gorgeous - they make me want to go to London for sure! And your journaling makes it even better!

Amy said...

Oh, I want to go back to London so badly! I am loving all of your shots and reading your journaling! Amazing sun flare on the last shot with the London Eye! :)

Bobbi said...

Oh I am so jealous, I love the scenary in these shots. Makes me want to travel somewhere exotic.

pat said...

Oh my gosh, Angela, i am ready to pack a bag and go right now. Thanks to your photos, I would definitely ride on the top of the double-decker--such a great viewpoint up there! I am loving loving this vacation.

shirley said...

Oh, I LOVED reading about your London adventure. I really love that city. You took great pictures of the architecture and the city.