Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Day 290: Alcatraz & last vacation day

These photos are from Friday, the last day of our vacation. I thought I could post all of the photos from the last day at once. . . . but what was I thinking????!!!! So I'm breaking the photos down into a few sections. . . and not as many sections as there were for Thursday, the Endless Day! (I actually filled three 2 GB cards on this trip!)

We took the ferry to Alcatraz. . . a pretty predictable touristy thing to do. But actually, I was quite impressed with the National Park Service! What a way to capitalize on the National Park Service--take an old prison, call it part of the park system, and charge admission!

I liked Crater Lake's accommodations much better than this!



Here you can see Golden Gate bridge in the background. What a way to add to the misery of prison life. . . glimpses of a beautiful city, but you're trapped on a cold, inhospitable, rock-prison!



See you tomorrow!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

My favorite is the bridge photo.

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to go there. These are great shots. I love the peek at the bridge!
Cari

Reds said...

Would love to visit!! Can't wait to see more from your trip!

Anonymous said...

That place must hold so much history. It would be overwhelming just to go there and see it I think. I love the last shot, and the shot of the bridge. Its so spooky.

Mom2Drew said...

Your vaca pics are just so fun...I'd like to vacation with you.

Sharon said...

Cool captures!

pat said...

Wow--love the shot of the city and bridge. Your framing in that is awesome. Cool shot, too with the gull.

Michelle said...

love these glimpses of your trip! I have always wanted to see Alcatrz. now I have seen some of it vicariously. thanks!

Cindi Koceich said...

I toured alcatraz over 20 years ago. It's amazing that it's still so popular! Love that last photo!!

Becky said...

I like doing predictable tourist things. :-D Beautiful blues in your water shots. And is that a linen texture on the boat one? That's cool too. What is that creepy dude at the end? Wax?

jewels said...

Oooh!! I've only seen Alcatraz from land. I really like your last shot, neat composition!

Cheers,
jewels

Jeanne said...

I'm seeing so many neat sites thanks to you! Ü

Love the shot with the seagull and your sense of humor is super.

Jess said...

These are awesome! I would love to go visit sometime. You had such an AWESOME vacation, I am totally jealous of all the adventures you had!

Carol said...

You are taking amazing photos (I am sure I must have told you that), and the one with the prison in the background and the seagull in the foreground is one that I can't stop staring at. It is amazing!!