Thursday, October 30, 2008

Day 305: Caged Ghoul and Exploding Pipelines

Unfortunately, these Halloween decorations are really not mine, so I don't get to take credit for them. Somebody seems to be channeling Stephen King!



I wonder what would happen if this little guy got loose!

And about the ongoing saga of my potentially exploding house:

Yesterday, a reporter came to my door, and I found out that actually, it IS 1300 homes! (That could be a lot of debris flying into the air!)

I'm such a push-over, but the reporter was about the age of my kids, and begged me to agree to be interviewed on the air to say what I felt about this.

So I was on TV last night, and I said that I felt not only afraid, but angry that Xcel Energy knew about this since 1999 and has not yet replaced the gas lines. But they're also not willing to tell us specifically which houses could be affected, or what the true level of risk is. I also objected that we were being treated like "collateral damage." They also interviewed the city fire chief. He said we should "just use common sense and not panic. . . and if we smell gas, should call Xcel." Yeah. The family in Fargo that got blown up smelled gas. . . and things didn't exactly turn out well for them!

The reporter told me that they're going to continue to research the details and would get back to us. At least with 1300 rather than 13, there's more potential for people to band together to exert some power.

It was really hard for me to be on TV. I felt the content of what I said was just fine; but I have a neurological condition, abductor spasmodic dysphonia, kind of like Robert F. Kennedy Jr, only his is aductor spasmodic dysphonia. Some of my words have gaps in them. . . like words with h's in them. . . like the word "house." So speaking on this issue in front of a camera. . . was embarassing. Oh well. . . I guess people have all kinds of accents and we figure out a way to deal with this with each other, so what I have to say could be important, even if it's not smooth and polished.

ETA: After much debate, I decided to include the link to this TV interview. If you cut and paste it into your browser, you'll get to see me live, and on my very own front steps. Darn! Wish I'd put pumpkins on the front steps! www.in-forum.com/av/index.cfm?id=25302&type=tvscript

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl...you are WAY too critical of yourself. I have SUCH stage fright too...I never sound how I think I should. I love those ornaments. Even Mr. King doesn't have any like that. (his house is creepy enough though...I used to live down the street from him)

Becky said...

You sounded great! Very articulate. I have terrible stage fright and could never come across this well. I hope the media attention means Xcel will fix this soon!
Oh yeah, great pics too!

Reds said...

Those are cool decorations!! Spooky!!! Think you are worrying too much about your tv appearance - you sounded great!!

pat said...

Oh man--I never would've been able to sound so coherent and informed if I had been interviewed!! Kudos---you came across very well. Glad to see you "live!"

Jackie's Shot said...

I wasnt able to play it. But will keep trying. Sounds like you did a wonderful job. I could never handle pressure of a tv interview. ~Jackie

Tricia said...

You sound great. Love the pic too.

Margaret said...

Cool decorations. Yeah, I wonder what would happen if you let that little creature out of the cage!

Jess said...

You are definitely too hard on yourself! You sounded great... very articulate and you really got your point across! I am so angry at the gas company though- that is pure BULL.

CREEPY decorations too! That looks like something my middle ds would pick out- he loves the gory stuff!

Vanessa said...

I totally understand, I don't think I could be comfortable on TV either!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Okay who ever decorates like that is giving me the creepies. Sorry we dont usually celebrate holloween. You know I had to go see you on TV awesome you made very good points. As for the fire chief Seriously? He hopes no one blows up yeah me to but hello what if?and if pipe is left in the ground and left alone it should be okay. Uhhh should be? Seriously.

Suzy said...

Great pic for Halloween and I think you sounded great!

Amy ~ Just Being Aimlyss said...

I think you sounded great and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary about your speaking, that said, how neat to get to see and hear you. Although, I wish it were under different circumstances, this situation would scare me! I do hope it is sorted out and resolved soon!!!

Carol said...

Your Halloween pictures are scary! As is the problem with the gas lines. I am going to pop over and listen to your interview, I love hearing different accents.

Jeanne said...

You sounded well informed and articulate to me, my friend! I would never come across that way! I truly hope that this means they will fix the problem asap!

What a spooky picture...don't let the little guy out whatever you do!