Monday, October 20, 2008

Day 295: Saying Goodbye

Now came a very hard part of our trip: Saying goodbye to Scott. He had us bringing him to an alley in what is known as the Mission area of San Francisco. A very nice alley, I thought.

Or maybe it's not an alley, but the front? I couldn't figure it out, but there were these really cool sunflowers planted about in small little spaces.


With inspiring signs and quotes. I KNOW Pat will agree with me, but I could swear, even with my limited botanical knowledge, that this is a sunflower and not an apple tree!

And Scott, whom I'm sure loves us dearly, probably felt it was time for us to go, already, (and cease and desist with the photography!) after the wonderful 8 days we got to spend together. We made our way back to Grand Forks, via Minneapolis. Scott made his way to his naval assignment inVirginia Beach, Virginia after a few more days in San Francisco with friends. It's just wonderful, though, having him back in the US, with Verizon connection to us!

Thank you, everyone, for the nice comments on all the photos, and coming along photographically, on this trip with us! I'm going to have to shift my lens now to what's available to me locally. Maybe I'll head out to that buffalo farm and catch a photo of the buffalo with a nice, fall sunset in the background. . . I haven't pestered them in awhile, and they haven't managed to move far away from me!

PS. I just got my November issue of Atlantic Monthly, scanned through it, and noticed an article on blogging. The author says "As you read a log, you have the curious sense of moving backward in time as you move forward in pages--the opposite of a book." And "Logs require a letting-go of narrative because they do not allow for a knowledge of the ending."

Huh. It's true. When I think back to what I wrote here in January, February, I had no clue, other than the broad strokes, of what would come about in my life in the year to come, the things that would sparkle to the surface that I'd want to put on my blog.

15 comments:

Reds said...

It was so fun to go on this trip with you Angela!! And what a great shot of your son!! Must be hard to say goodbye!

Jeanne said...

You did a fantastic job of bringing us all along with you on your terrific adventures! That pic of your son is perfect. And yep...looks like a sunflower to me, too! LOL

Thank you SO much for sharing!!

pat said...

Angela, so glad he is where you can be in easy touch with him. He is such a good-looking guy! And you're right--sure doesn't look like any apple tree I've ever seen!

Mom2Drew said...

I have felt I've gotten to know you over this past year and it's been so much fun. Thanks for sharing bits of yourself.

Sharon said...

Sad to see Scott go, he's a cutie!

Chell said...

Wow thanks for sharign so much from your trip. It was fun to go along with you through the pictures.

Jess said...

I have completely enjoyed the journey through your photos... I am sad for it to end!

Jackie's Shot said...

What a great trip you enjoyed and some incredible shots. Thanks for sharing. ~Jackie

For Over 29 Years... said...

What an amazing trip you took, thanks for including us in the journey!

S.Kremer said...

Your adventure was so intresting and fun to read...thanks for sharing:)
Shawna (shawkrem)

Carol said...

I have just been showing your wonderful balloon adventure to my DH and DS. They thought it was very cool.
I also know very little about trees, but I couldn't spot any apples on it lol.
Your last post brought a tear to my eye. You must miss your son dreadfully.

Becky said...

That's the nicest alley I've ever seen. I love that photo of Scott--he's got that amused expression you and Doug wear. I hope you get to see lots more of him now that he's back in the States!

Margaret said...

Thanks for taking us on this trip to one of my most favorite places to visit. You showed so many interesting, colorful things about San Francisco. Love the quote about the apple tree..sunflower...whatever. :)

Suzy said...

I'm sure it was so hard to say goodbye. But you've captured the moment and trip beautifully!

jewels said...

What a handsome photo of Ben. I love the little MLK quote by the sunflower too!

And, what a neat thought about blogging... very philosophical! I think I'm going to enjoy reading backlogs even more now!

Cheers,
jewels