Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Day 227: Coneflowers

Ah, the joys of summer. . . . !




It's August. . . there's a hint of fall already in the air as we hit 55 degrees in the evenings. I don't know if I can bear to let this glorious summer go!

I'm really liking Scott Kelby's 7-Point System for Adobe Photoshop. He has you download 21 photos, and then work through lessons on the photos, using CS3. The 7 basic aspects of his system are 1) using Adobe Raw; 2) Curves Adjusting; 3) shadows/highlights; 4) painting with light; 5) channels adjustments; 6) layer blend modes and layer masks, and 7) sharpening.

I'm only in lesson 4, but within the first lesson he teaches you to make a few simple actions for sharpening. Lesson 4 would have been a great lesson for this week's POTD theme; he has you create a reflection of mountains in the water.

Oh, and a minor confession here. In the interest of full disclosure I feel compelled to reveal that I botoxed my toes yesterday.

Yeah. With Ren's Botox action. Because it looked like there were wrinkles. Wellllllllll, at least I didn't spend another half hour using the healing brush to fill in the polish!

ETA: For those relatives of mine who might be reading this, and who might not know photography terms. . . .I don't mean I REALLY botoxed my toes with needles or anything! It's a photoshop technique!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I may have to get that book. I am going to go look at barnes and noble tomorrow...thanks! I love that last shot!!!
Cari

Amy said...

Fabulous shots, but I LOL'd at that last line! Ha!

Reds said...

Love these shots - especially the second one!

pat said...

Wahahaha!!! Botoxed toes; I am going to giggle over this all night, and will never be able to explain to DH. Love the coneflowers. We're starting to get coolish in the evening, too. :-/

Becky said...

I love the lighting in these, and the focus is great! LOL at Botoxing your toes. I should do that to my hands. I keep looking at them lately and wondering when they turned into my mother's.

Kristina said...

Does the 7 point system come from a new book of his? I LOVE your coneflowers. Always wanted to grow some myself!

Sharon said...

These are wonderful captures!!

Val said...

LOL about botoxing your toes. I botoxed myself to pretty much plastic in my most recent photos. Botox rocks.

Your flower photos are really pretty! I think i need to get the kelby book.

Amy said...

These are such beautiful shots, I just love the pretty colors together! I've seen that book and thought about buying it, but I need to get more familiar with PS first. :)

Jess said...

I LOVE coneflowers! These are awesome!

I had to LOL at you "botoxing" your toes! Only the peas would get that one! :p

Anonymous said...

That book sounds interesting...
lol at the botox..

Jeanne said...

Love the flowers! I hear you on the hints of fall...they said the s-word on the news last night...yup...snow! Well, not here but in the mountains. Whew. Although the HIGH on Friday is supposed to be upper sixties. Wah!

LOL on the botoxing your toes...almost fell for it. You are so funny.

My brother got a new camera. He was touting the features (to my hubby) and he mentioned RAW. I sort of knew what it meant... thanks to you! Ü

Alexis said...

I love these shots! What fun color and texture! Also, that sounds like a really great book!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Beautiful flowers. LOL botox your toes.