Thursday, August 14, 2008

Day 228: Radishes

Way too busy to get a shot of much else these days. Before and after work, I've been trying to do some exercises for my knee. And this evening, I did water aerobics. Hooray! A definite improvement between this week and last!

For the first time in my life, I also went to a chiropractor. I was hoping to find someone who knew about active isolative stretching, the stuff I'm doing to help with my knee. I wanted to check and see if I'm doing things right . . . or not. He doesn't know about AIS, but the chiropractic stuff he does is Applied Kinesiology. I figure if he can help with my knee, wonderful, or if this can help with the ways in which my knee is throwing my back into weirdness, more wonderful. After the first session, I definitely felt better in my knee/calf. . . just very briefly.

But I'm very torn about all this.. The stuff I research on the internet is highly skeptical about the science behind chiropractics, especially applied kinesiology. The Skeptical Inquirer had a review on chiropractics a few months ago and was positive about what chiropractics could do for structural back stuff, but not the many other things that are often claimed. And I don't know that their more limited endorsement included the applied kinesiology.

I'm "compounding variables" all over the place, introducing too many things at once, so as my knee gets better, I don't know what I'll be able to attribute it to. But I wish I had a clearer opinion on the validity of chiropractics! Now, if only House would do an episode on it! :)

So here's a radish from my garden. Look at the leaves on this little thing! All that drama for this little morsel! About four years ago, we visited France, and ate radishes with butter and salt. Surprisingly tasty! Ours, from our garden, tend to be delightfully sweet.

7 comments:

pat said...

I think that anything that comes out of your own garden has an extra sweetness to it. Nice shot--that IS a lot of "top dressing"!

Amy said...

There sure are a lot of leaves for that little radish! I'm happy to hear your knee is doing better! I went to a chiropractor a few times after I had Anika and was very happy with the care, I called it my 'massage time'. LOL! :)

Anonymous said...

I really love the greens in this photo...it really helps the focus of the radish pop out.

As for chiropractors....I am with you. I really have no idea about them. They recommended them for my Katie, who had colic. I guess it was supposed to help. There was no proof that me paying $100 a session would help her though, so I never felt safe doing it.

I think the verdict is kind of still out on it...I have heard that you have to keep going again and again.

Jeanne said...

I'll bet those leaves are part of the reason for the "sweetness" of the radish...just guessing. It is a proud plumage though.

Don't know a thing about chiropractics. A friend went for a short time and felt it was beneficial for short term, but didn't like/believe in the having to go back again and again and again...

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Cool do you have a big vegtable garden. Glad your knee feels better. We will have to make sure your dh and I are not in the same place then we don't want to create a black hole.

Becky said...

I know a lot of people who are all drama with only a little morsel of sweetness too. LOL.
Hope your knee gets better whatever the reason. I've always been skeptical or chiropractors too and have never gone to one, but I've always been open to the idea of trying one if I had a problem that wasn't helped by traditional medicine.

Sharon said...

I can vouch for my chiropractor. Just by seeing him, my cholesterol went down and my need for thyroid meds went down. That said, all have a different approach and if you don't like one, look for another.