Friday, April 18, 2008

Day 110: More of Mizzou

Which of these two photos do you like better? The first is closer and shows more detail; the 2nd gives a little more of the context. Both are shot with my 18-135 mm lens, in manual mode, RAW, wb: sunny; f/4.5; exp 1/200; 18mm. This is the journalism building on the Mizzou campus, and I took these photos a few weeks ago.


And this is my "what is it" for this evening.



Thank you Heather. And I agree. I like this cropping much better than the one I posted yesterday (the first picture in the post.)

Yesterday, Pat wrote: "I THINK that your little blue flower is a glory-in-the-snow, or chinodoxia." Pat, you are amazing! I looked up chinodoxia and saw photos that show a flower that looks very similiar to what this flower will look like when in bloom.

But then it hit me! What the heck! I'm showing you a bulb and asking you to guess what it will be when it's a fully bloomed flower! What's next? We'll show you a seed and ask you to tell us what the flower will be?????? And there you are, getting really close to the actual flower anyway! You're amazing!

It's actually a scilla, and this is what the internet says about it, "Siberian Squill is an ugly name for a very beautiful little flower. However, we can also refer to it as Scilla siberica, which is slightly more elegant. The colour is an intense Prussian blue, and it has three to five star-shaped blossoms suspended from each stem.

Not only is the flower lovely, the plant is incredibly hardy: it really does grow in Siberia. It is also one of the very best bulb plants for naturalizing (i.e. it will not only come back year after year, it will gradually increase and multiply). Also, it's very cheap to buy. How can you lose? Get some!"

Siberian. That makes sense. No wonder it grows in North Dakota!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

16 comments:

pat said...

Angela--I like the cropped photo better, but that's just a personal prefernence. I like your little guy--looks like one of those Chinese lions. And I'm glad I hit it with the bulb; I usually call them squill, but thought I'd try to give you a more proper name. Watch out; they colonize like crazy! Even in your climate; they went rampant in my garden in Minnesota.

Reds said...

Love the first pic as you can see more details of the building (it's a beautiful building!)!

Anonymous said...

I like the close up as well. I am going to guess uh mmm uh mmm a statue of lion.

Becky said...

I like the first one better, because I'm really drawn to the sunlight in the doorway and it really pops. Tonight's picture I think is a gargoyle statue. And I love the crop you did on the flower photo. That Pat really is a marvel!
And the DVD I got from Netflix was an HBO show called Tell Me You Love Me. Kind of depressing and raunchy--just my style HA HA.

Malisa said...

I like the 2nd picture of the building better- I like the way I can see the sun shining through the trees! It's all perspective I guess!

Chell said...

I think I like the first one better, but I like them both.

Yvette A said...

I like the 1st.

I think it is some sort of gargoyle

summerbl4ck said...

i like the 2nd one. it really moves you right thru the opening. and my guess for the other shot is a stone statue of an asian dragon.

Suzy said...

Love these and Pat is just amazing at guessing isn't she? Great shot!

Jess said...

I like both views for different reasons! I like the closer view of the building for the detail, but in the 2nd shot I love those trees framing the shot and that little bit of sun peeking through the tree. Tough choice!

Bobbi said...

I like the first one. And I really love the recrop of the bud!

Amy said...

Great angles on the building and who could guess what that statue things is? Looks like you could study it IRL and walk away confused, LOL.

April said...

those are great..i think i like the first picture more..i like the detail that it shows. and i like the cropping on your flower picture too..looks good.

Tera Fraley said...

The first 2 photos are tough- I like the tighter crop but I also like the tree and the sun shining though in the second one.. Great job though!

Suzy said...

Just stopping by again to see what you have today?

Sharon said...

I like the first version. Very nice captures.