Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Day 114: Happy Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day! Check out this web site: www.earth911.org It's got some really good suggestions to recycle, use less energy, basically to reduce your carbon footprint on the earth. And the best thing is you can put in your own zip code, and find out where all your local places are for recycling batteries, compact fluorescent light bulbs (without releasing mercury in the water supply), etc.

I found out that this weekend in my town, I can drop off old printers, computers, monitors just a few blocks away from where I live! They can be recycled (without my having to pay a fee!) in a way that's a little more environmentally-friendly.

Here's a photo of a "happy spot" in my yard. It's my compost pile! Now's the time of the year I can take the composted soil from last year (black gold) and put it on plants in my yard. I can throw leaves, vegetable waste, (even coffee grounds!) and clippings in it to start a new batch. It sounds weird, but composted soil smells really good! It has a nice, earthy smell that hints of spring and new life! TFL (but check out the link above!)

12 comments:

Jeanne said...

Cool!

Thanks for the link! Will have to check that out.

Happy Earth Day to you as well. My older daughter's class (well, the school) got to go out on the school grounds to pick up trash. They had several trash bags filled when I picked her up. She was very happy to help the earth. :o)

pat said...

Love this--it shows just HOW simple a compost heap can be...

Mom2Drew said...

I've heard coffee grounds are good for the soil-makes sense to me really.

Yes, happy Earth day to you too, glad you're aware.

Amy said...

I like your froggies keeping watch over your compost! I knew I lived in a small town with NOTHING besides Raley's. The nearest recycle for anything place is 16 miles and that is down the mountain, so 45 minutes. I looked around the site a bit and it's very neat, I also bookmarked it to browse more later. :)

Margaret said...

That's so cool. Thanks for the link.

Anonymous said...

You are so inspiring. I am sure your frogs will make sure that the compost goes well. My parents have a very insane compost pile that produces (according to them) the BEST soil for the garden. They talk so much about their trash. Hehehehe. Happy EARTH day!

Becky said...

Love your happy spot, and thanks for the link. DH is the compost/garden guy in this family--he does the work and I take the photos. Works for me!

Jen said...

Happy Earth Day!

Bobbi said...

Love your little frogs here! Thanks for reminding me of Earth Day :)

April said...

that's a great post..my dad had a compost pile when i was younger..i remember it stinking.

Jess said...

This is wonderful! We are trying to do more to "go green". My oldest ds insists that it is not merely coincidence that his bday is on Earth Day, he is convinced he is destined to save the world. Hmmm...?

me said...

thanks for the link